It’s heart-breaking to hear about two-year-old Harper-Lee Farnthorpe, who died after swallowing a button battery from a remote control. The little girl was rushed to hospital for emergency surgery after she started vomiting blood, but tragically died during the operation.
Her mum told BBC Breakfast she didn’t realise the dangers and wants to raise awareness. She said: “These five weeks have been absolute torture. And all through a button battery that we didn’t know the dangers of. It’s about awareness. Parents need to check. Check, check, check. They’re in everything.”
The Child Accident Prevention Trust knows that many parents are still unaware of the risks posed by big, powerful lithium coin cell batteries or where small children can find them in their homes. Their Button battery hub is packed with simple, practical advice. It’s easy to share and can help prevent other families suffering such a terrible tragedy. To find out more CLICK HERE.