(Thank you to Digital Bricks for their amazing help in creating this trailer.)
Children’s Health Scotland offers an online Self-Management Skills Programme (SMS:CONNECT) for children and young people living with health conditions, particularly those living with long-term health-conditions.
What is SMS:CONNECT?
SMS:CONNECT is an online Self-Management Skills Programme for children aged 9 to 17 years. Each six week Programme is delivered via a safe, online platform. Two one-hour sessions are delivered each week and the Programmes are split into two age categories:
- for children aged 9 to 12 years and
- for young people aged 13 to 17 years.
Each group will have up to 10 people and two coaches. The online sessions have an informal atmosphere with a mixture of activities and games to help you get to know other young people on the Programme and have fun! We cover a range of topics in the workshops including:
- What does ‘health’ mean to you?
- Living with worries
- Stress-management, relaxation and self-care
- Talking about your health with others
- Coping with change
- Healthcare rights
We listen to children and young people and we adapt our programmes to meet your needs and concerns. We understand that it is normal to feel nervous about attending something new which is why our friendly team will support you throughout the programme.
What is self-management?
Self-Management means improving the relationship you have with your health and wellbeing and building your confidence and self-esteem. By taking part in SMS:CONNECT you will be taking steps towards increasing your confidence and self-esteem, accessing information, and developing skills that can help you cope better with your health condition. We are offering an online service that you can connect with at home and that will help you to connect with other children and young people with health conditions.
Who is it for?
SMS:CONNECT is for all children and young people with health conditions living in Scotland, particularly those living with long-term health conditions. If you live in the central belt of Scotland you can also check out our Self-Management Skills Face-to-Face Programme.
Why should I attend?
SMS:CONNECT can help you build:
- Communication skills
- Friendships and connections with other children and young people
- Coping and relaxation skills
- Access to online resources
- Opportunities for volunteering and peer mentoring
- Access to social activities
Where and when?
Online SMS:CONNECT Programmes run for six weeks. There will be a weekly schedule of activities and support and we will ask you what days and times work best for you. It is accessed on a safe, online platform, and we will give you your own username and password. If you need to borrow a device from us to go online, we can discuss this with you.
The SMS:CONNECT Programme has been developed with the help of children and young people with long-term health conditions. The programmes are fun, informal and friendly, and will offer:
- A weekly group session with games, activities and a focus on health and wellbeing.
- Opportunities for you to talk with other children and young people online.
- Challenges to work on at home
- Lots of information and resources
- A member of the SMS:CONNECT team to support you through the Programme
We would love to hear from you if you are interested in joining an SMS:CONNECT Programme or you would like more information. To find out more please contact the SMS team:
- By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- By phone: Michelle Wilson 0748 5462 436, or Eilidh Findlay 0730 5048 649
Or complete our online form or download a referral form here:
We look forward to hearing from you.